Opportunity for an enthusiastic .NET developer to join our dynamic, friendly, well-established internet company at our offices in Leith, Edinburgh. We are looking for recent graduates (or final year students) to join our engineering team in 2022. The role is part-time at 20 hours per week but for the right candidate you will be able to move to a permanent, full-time position.
Based in Leith, we currently employ a team of eight people providing government and businesses with online solutions with a particular focus on the agricultural, environmental and food sectors. You may not have heard of us, but if you’ve bought fresh meat, fruit or vegetables from a supermarket in the UK, their provenance will likely have been checked or tracked at some point using our systems. With our products we’re now looking to join up the whole food chain in order to improve trust in the food you buy, with interest from multi-national companies whose brands you’ll instantly recognise.
We’ve been kept busy during lockdown helping our clients to stop the UK’s food supply chain from being disrupted and we now need to urgently expand our team.
We strive to offer a working environment that is rarely found in bigger businesses:
- We’re a friendly close-knit team with an absence of corporate jargon and office politics.
- We’re agile and innovative where larger organisations struggle to adapt.
- We believe that every team member should have input in to decisions that count.
- We think that a job should fit around life, with flexible start and end times and the ability to work remotely when needed.
As most of our employees stay with us for years, we think this approach works.
Your primary role will be to develop and support .Net web applications based upon specifications provided by senior developers, using our in-house web framework running on top of ASP.Net and SQL Server; however there will be opportunities to develop your programming, design and leadership abilities as part of a constructive and multi-skilled team.
We're now transitioning our technology stack to Razor, Blazor and ASP.Net Core, and you will be involved in the process of refreshing and redeveloping our services using the latest web frameworks.
We'll offer you the opportunity to work with a whole spectrum of clients, from small charities right up to government departments within a relaxed and innovative environment. We also offer a clear career development pathway for all our employees with regular reviews and opportunities for promotion to more senior roles.
- Employment type: Part-time (20 hours per week)
- Salary: £28K (pro rated for 20 hours)
- Location: Working from our office in Edinburgh (with temporary remote working)
We are looking for someone with:
- An understanding of how to apply object-oriented principles to code and data
- Familiarity with coding in C# or VB.Net and the .Net framework / .Net core in general
- Experience creating ASP.Net web user controls, or familiarity with Razor, MVC and other Microsoft web technologies
- Proficiency in HTML, CSS and responsive design techniques
- Knowledge of SQL, and MS SQL Server in particular would be an advantage
- Ability to produce documented, well-structured and maintainable code
- A willingness to learn, and the ability to grasp new concepts quickly
With our focus on data integration and bulk processing, we’re particularly interested if you have experience with:
- Designing and implementing RESTful web APIs
- Map/reduce techniques for data processing and analysis
As we are following Scottish Government guidelines, all our staff are currently working remotely. Our expectation is that, from the time of appointment, new recruits will be able to work partly from our office in Leith for a few days each week and the remainder from home.
Suitable distancing measures will be in place in our office, but you should bear in mind the need to travel to work and have a suitable Internet connection at home to enable remote working.
How to Apply
Please send your CV with a short covering letter to firstname.lastname@example.org naming the position you wish to apply for